Freshman Shop PlacementOur freshmen students have been immersed in seven vocational programs and now it’s time for them to choose the vocational program that they will focus on for the next three years. During the Exploratory Program, many students have fallen in love with a shop that was not among their initial top-three choices; this means the program is working! With the help of our Career Enrichment classes, freshmen have discovered which vocational-technical areas are best suited to their aptitudes, interests, and career plans.
As the Exploratory Program ends, our School Counselors are available to assist students with additional questions during the decision process. The students will soon complete the Decide Survey to assist us in placing them in their permanent shops.
It’s an exciting time in our students’ vocational-technical education, and many of them are nervous. We’re here to help them make the best decisions for their futures.
Decide Survey Overview
• Students and parents should review the student’s shop scores along with the anticipated certifications and professional requirements.
• Students should choose their 1st through 7th choice for shop placement by completing the Decide Survey in Naviance (instructions below).
• School Counselors are available to answer questions.
Decide Survey Instructions
1. Log Into Classlink
• Once in Classlink link, login to your Naviance account.
2. Select the Survey
• Go to the “About Me” tab and click on “Surveys from Your School.”
• Click on the “Decide Survey” link. It will direct you
to complete the survey.
3. Complete the Survey
• It is suggested that you review your Career Interest Profile results and
your Exploratory Reflections to help you make your decision.
• Rank your shop placement choices 1–7.
NOTE: You may NOT list a shop you did not explore.
4. Save Your Survey (optional)
• If you are unsure of how you want to rank your shops, or if you have not discussed
your choices with your parent/guardian, you can save your answers and go back
to the task later.
5. Submit the Survey
• When you and your parent/guardian enter your names, it is your/their official
electronic signature. This certifies that the selections are accurate and final.
• Any misrepresentation could be cause for disciplinary action and could result in a
possible change in final shop placement.
• Once you have completed your Decide Survey in Naviance and reviewed it with
your parent/guardian, submit your answers by clicking “Submit Responses.”
NOTE: You cannot change your answers once they are submitted.
All submissions are FINAL.
Shop Placement Process
Students are admitted into a shop based on the score they received during its exploratory period. Shop placement is also dependent upon the program capacity and the scores of other students. For example, a student with a score of 150 would be admitted before a student with a score of 120. If a shop exceeds its capacity for enrollment, students are then placed in their second through seventh choices according to their selection. Just as with their first choice selection, their placement in their second through seventh choice program is dependent upon their score and program capacity. In all cases, tie scores are broken by the cumulative average of all seven exploratory evaluations. A more detailed description of the placement process is located on page 10 of the Admissions Policy.
Questions or concerns regarding shop placement should be directed to your School Counselor.
Wednesday, November 10thCareer Enrichment Teachers
will review the survey instructions
with students during class.Monday, November 22ndThe Decide Survey opens after school.
Students login to Classlink and
complete the survey in Naviance
with their parent/guardian for homework.
Surveys are electronically signed
by the student and the parent/guardian.Technical support with the surveywill be available if needed
in Career Enrichment class.Wednesday, November 24th
Deadline for submitting Decide Survey
by 8:00 a.m.
Friday, December 3rd
Students receive shop placement
notifications via email during homeroom.Monday, December 6thFirst Day of Shop Placement
Students should report
to their shop after homeroom.
Students should be in the same
uniform that they wore during
their exploratory cycle.
Students will receive a syllabus
from the shop instructor that
includes uniform obligations (if any),
so we ask that you wait to
purchase any items until then.