BVT students are encouraged to make thoughtful choices by reviewing course offerings in the Program of Studies, discussing their options with parents and teachers, and reviewing/revising their choices with their school counselor prior to submitting their final requests. Students register for their courses in January/February of each year for the following school year during their Career Enrichment class. There is a school counselor present during the registration session to address any questions that may arise.
BVT encourages students to finalize any course request adjustments (with their school counselor) within four weeks of their registration session. We acknowledge that there may be unforeseen circumstances that necessitate a course change at the start of the new school year. If a late course change is approved, the student will be placed in the most appropriate class with available seats.
• When a student makes a section or level change within the same department, the grades from the first course will be included in the grade calculation of the subsequent course.
• Unless there are extenuating circumstances, commencing with the opening of school in August, students must complete two cycles in academics before any consideration will be given to changing their academic course selection.
• All Course Add/Drop requests require completion of the Add/Drop form which is available in the School Counseling office.
Incomplete forms will not be processed.
• All beginning of the year Add/Drops must be finalized prior to October 1st.
• Please note that approval for a course Add/Drop after October 1st is extremely rare.
• After October 1st, Add/Drops will be considered only for extraordinary situations as determined by the School Counselor,
Academic Coordinator and/or Director of Special Education and the Academic Team Leader and also requires parent/guardian
consent. If approved, the course change will take effect at the beginning of the next school term.
• Course changes after October 1st will be reflected on the student’s transcript.
Advanced Placement Add/Drop Policy
• Students interested in Adding/Dropping any Advanced Placement course must do so no later than July 15th, prior to the official start of the school year. The July 15th deadline is vital to allow time to reassess the master schedule regarding seat availability in alternative levels of the course.
• After the July 15th deadline, Advanced Placement Add/Drops will be considered only for extenuating circumstances as determined by the School Counselor, the Academic Coordinator and the Academic Team Leader. If approved, the course change will take effect at the beginning of the next school term.
• Students and parents should be aware that their ability to change course levels after the July 15th deadline may not be possible due to classroom capacity limitations.
• Add/Drop forms are available in the School Counseling office. Incomplete forms will not be processed.