Creativity for a Cause
Calling All Artists...let your art speak for those who can’t find their voice and help build awareness and support for teen suicide prevention.
As an artist, you know intuitively that creating a visual image through any medium can produce physical and emotional benefits for you the creator, as well as those who view it. This healing power of art is what our Art Heals: Chalk Festival is all about. On Saturday, May 9th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. our campus will come alive with color, creativity, and meaning as artists of all ages create unique chalk murals on the theme “Art Heals.”
Working only with chalk as your medium, artists can work solo or in pairs on a 5’ x 5’ pavement square. Registration is required by Thursday, April 9th. The $20 registration fee covers your chalk and a reserved a space to create your masterpiece. Concept drawings must be submitted via e-mail to Ashley Maclure, our Visual Arts instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org), so they may be reviewed prior to confirmation of participation in this event.*
Artists of all ages and experience levels are welcome. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded in each category: Youth (Ages 12 & Under), Young Adult (Ages 13-17), and Adult (Ages 18+).
Artist Tips for Chalk Mural Masterpieces
• Bring protection for your knees. Knee or gardening pads work great.
• Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a hat and sunscreen.
• Plan ahead and have an idea of what you want to draw. Bringing a sketch or a photo
reference is a big help.
• Start drawing and coloring from the top of your square, and then proceed downwards.
This technique will prevent smudging.
• Connect with fellow artists and share your creative process.
• And of course, have fun!
* NOTE: Festival organizers reserve the right to deem subject matter inappropriate. Political or commercial advertisements and statements are not allowed. We are a family-friendly event, please keep that in mind when deciding what your chalk mural concepts will be.
Calling All Artists...
Experience the healing power of art
at our Art Heals: Chalk Festival
on Saturday, May 9th.
(rain date May 16th)
Artists will begin working on their chalk
murals at 8:30 a.m. The festival is FREE
and open to the general public
from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
ARTIST REGISTRATIONA $20 registration fee covers your
chalk and reserve a space to create
Space and chalk supplies are limited.
So, don't delay, register today!
This event is made possible in
partnership with our Visual Arts Program
and supported in part by grants from the
Upton Cultural Council, the Mass Cultural
Council, and the Cummings School Service
Fund at Tufts University.