Academic Course Add/Drop Policy
There is a lot to consider when your teen is selecting their academic courses each year. As a parent, you are often thinking beyond the classroom and wondering, “Will these courses fit into their academic game plan and meet all the requirements they will need to get into the college of their choice?” No worries, we’re here to walk you through our academic course add/drop policy and help put your teen on the right “course.”
Students register for their courses in January/February of each year for the following school year during their Career Enrichment class, where a school counselor is present to address any questions that may arise. We encourage our students to make thoughtful choices when reviewing the course offerings in the Program of Studies. It's important for our students to discuss their options with their parents and teachers, and then review/revise those choices with their school counselor before submitting their final requests.
We understand that at the start of a new school year, there may be unforeseen circumstances that necessitate a change in your teen's courses. In such a case, students must finalize any course adjustments they would like to make with their school counselor within four weeks of their registration session. Students must also attend classes for the first two cycles before a change will be considered. If a late course change is approved, the student will be placed in the most appropriate class with the most available seats. To ensure equity among courses sections, students will be enrolled in the course with the lowest student count.
NOTE: A student is NOT allowed to change a course or course section due to teacher preference.Specifics• When a student makes a section or level change within the same department, the grades from the first course will be included in the grade calculation of the subsequent course.
• Unless there are extenuating circumstances, commencing with the opening of school in August, students must complete two cycles before any consideration will be given to changing their academic course selection.
• All Course Add/Drop requests require completion of the Add/Drop Form which is available in the School Counseling office. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
• All beginning of the year Add/Drops must be finalized prior to Thursday, September 30th.
• Please note that approval for an Add/Drop after October 1st is extremely rare.
• After October 1st, Add/Drops will only be considered for extraordinary situations as determined by the School Counselor, the Academic Curriculum Coordinator and/or Director of Student Services, and the Academic Department team leader. The Add/Drop also requires parent/guardian consent. If approved, the course change will take effect at the beginning of the next school term.
• Please note that the dropped course(s) will be included on the student’s transcript and will be calculated in GPA/Rank.
Advanced Placement Add/Drop Policy• Students interested in an Add/Drop of an Advanced Placement course must do so no later than Friday, July 30th, prior to the official start of the school year. The July 30th deadline is vital to allow time to reassess the master schedule regarding seat availability in alternative levels of the course.
• After the July 30th deadline, Advanced Placement Add/Drops will be considered only for extenuating circumstances as determined by the School Counselor, the Academic Curriculum Coordinator, and the Academic Team Leader. If approved, the course change will take effect at the beginning of the next school term.
• Students and parents should be aware that their ability to change course levels after the July 30th deadline may not be possible due to classroom capacity limitations.
• Add/Drop Forms are available in the School Counseling office. Incomplete forms will not be processed.
Mark Your Calendar!Tuesday, September 7th
Thursday, September 30th
Academic Add/Drop Deadline