The Dental Assisting program is an exciting career path for the student who enjoys the challenges and rewards of working with people and has the desire to join the growing health and dental industries. Students are exposed to oral health care and services through practice in our state-of-the-art dental assisting lab, as well as clinical experience at Central Massachusetts dental offices and clinics. Students also gain a deeper understanding of patient care by studying anatomy and physiology, with an emphasis on head, neck, oral, and dental anatomy. In-depth preparation for Dental Assisting licensure is a natural launching pad for a well-paid career in the dental field.
Skills you will learn:
• Dental laboratory procedures and techniques
• Pre- and post-operative patient care and instruction
• Management of medical and dental emergencies
• Radiographic procedures and techniques
• Infection control and sterilization
• Dental business office procedures
• Four-handed dentistry
• Dental charting
Watch Your Mouth: What better way to display your knowledge than to teach others! The Dental Assisting program partners with local middle schools to provide educational opportunities for learners of all ages. Our sophomores give informational presentations to middle school students within the community on dentistry-related topics such as good oral hygiene, the effects of tobacco, taking care of braces, and tooth whitening. The interactive presentations help our students learn new ways of speaking with patients and explaining care plans.
Dental Office Shadow: “When will I ever use this after high school?” is an oft-heard question from students across the country. However, our students rarely utter such phrases because they are provided with opportunities to link classroom learning to work requirements. Through the six-week Dental Office Shadow program, our juniors practice their skills in real-life pediatric, orthodontic, and general dentistry practices under the supervision of dental assistants, dental hygienists, dentists, and instructors.
College & Career Placement
• Dental Hygiene, University of New England
• Dental Hygiene, Quinsigamond Community College
• Dental Hygiene, University of New Haven
• Dental Assistant, Uxbridge Dental Center
• Pediatric Dental Assistant, The Pediatric Dental Group